REPORT ON INAUGURATION OF MEMBERS OF NATIONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE ON ANIMAL GENETIC RESOURCES HELD ON 21ST FEBUARY 2018 AT BOLTON WHITE HOTELS AND APARTMENTS GARKI ABUJA.
The National Advisory Committee (NAC) was inaugurated with the following responsibilities:
- To oversee the preparation of National Strategy and action plan on AnGR in Nigeria and providing guidance on development of the process and the main objectives.
- To liaise with respective organization and network building to ensure effective communication among diverse interests.
- The NAC is also charged with the responsibility to mobilize support and financial resources for preparation and implementation.
The inauguration commenced at 10:43am with the arrival of the Permanent Secretary FMARD in company of the Director, Animal Husbandry Services. Introduction of members, Professors from various Universities in Nigeria, Representatives from Industries, Research Institutes, Police Affairs, Breeders Association, NGOs, ASAN, NIAS, and Poultry Farmers Association, media and communication experts followed.
Welcome address by the Ag. Director (AHS) Mr. John T. Taiwo which he outlined the importance of the NAC for AnGR in Nigeria so as to implement the Global Plan of Action (GAP) for AnGR at all levels in all countries of the world due to significant gaps that were discovered to exist in both National and International capacities o manage and sustainable use AnGR.
A presentation was made by Dr. Popoola Mustapha on structure, roles and responsibilities of AnGR. He further explained how the grouping was done and what each group will oversee.
INAUGURATION OF NAC ON AnGR BY PERMANENT SECRETARY FMARD
The permanent secretary Dr. Bukar Hassan inaugurated the NAC at 11am. He urged the newly inaugurated NAC members to ensure a coordinated action plan that will promote synergy in addressing critical issues in livestock sub-sector and also to ensure that targets, milestone, roles and responsibilities of stakeholders are clearly defined.
INAUGURATION OF THE NATIONAL CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE
The Ag Director Mr John T. Taiwoinaugurated 10 committees at 1:14pm which are:
- The Policy Development
- Reproductive Biology and Arts
- Breeding and Genetics
- Biotechnology “Omics and Bioinformatics
- Private sector
- Strategy, Planning and communication
- Breeders, professional Association and NGOs
- Conservation, Biodiversity, Climate change, Health and Animal Welfare
- Development partners and international Cooperation
- Inventory and Database management
And each committee is headed by a Chairman, Alternate chairman, Secretary and members. The coordinator further asked the committee members to break into value chain basis, each value chain was asked to elect their chairman and secretary. Below are the Value Chains
- Sheep and Goats
- Horses, Camel and Donkey
- Rabbit and Grasscutter
- Cats and Dogs
- Fishery & aquaculture.
COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS BY PARTICIPANTS
- Members should be allowed to change group based on personal conviction, interest and disciple.
- The policy Development group should be broaden to include other key stakeholders such as private sectors and NGOs.
- National Center for Genetic Resources and Biotechnology (NACGRAB) should be represented on Policy Development committee and Inventory and Database Management sub-committee.
- NAPRI should have a representative in the Biotech committee
- Guinea pigs should be included in the species of Animals to be researched into because they are good laboratory/research animals
- Pasture and Rangeland specialist are not needed in the committees
- NESREA (Federal Ministry of Environment) should be co-opted into the Policy Development because of the access and benefits sharing regulations guiding the exchange of Animal Genetic materials and Biotechnology resources.
The closing remarks was given Dr. AustinNwangwu (HOD Animal Breeding and Conservation) by thanking the participants for making out time to attend the inauguration. The meeting came to a close at 3:40pm.